Saturday, August 22, 2009

7 1/2 minute Tuna Burger

I sort of have a love/hate relationship with canned tuna. A few years ago, I couldn't get enough of it, but then suddenly things changed and a can of tuna would sit in my pantry/cupboard for months. It wasn't like I would forget about it, it just didn't pique my interest or taste buds any longer.

Traditionally, canned tuna is mixed with mayo (and corn if you are British) to make tuna salad, or topped with cheese to make a tuna melt sandwich. However, I am not really a fan of either of these popular choices.

The solution for me was simple. Stay away from canned tuna when grocery shopping! A great solution indeed, since it has been years since I picked some up. Nonetheless, I ended up with a can of tuna in my cupboard a few weeks ago. A friend of mine (bless her) was going back to France after a 10 month stint as an exchange student in the US, and rather than be wasteful, she gladly dumped the contents of her pantry on me. Never one to refuse to lend a helping hand, I accepted these items with open hands. As a result, I ended up with a can of tuna.

The can sat there for a few weeks and then, I became determined to do something with it. I pondered for a long minute and then... it came to me. Maybe I can make a tuna burger? I looked up a few recipes online and didn't really like what I was finding. Most recipes had way too many ingredients. As you may know, I like to keep it simple.

So... after a tweak or two, here is what I came up with.

Ingredients
1 5oz can of tuna (chicken of the sea is excellent)
1 medium egg (whisk separately first)
1 tbsp of flour
1 1/2 tbsps of mined red onions (yellow or white will do just fine)
1 1/2 tbsps of minced green peppers (or red)
A dash of hot sauce or chilli sauce (Nandos garlic peri-peri sauce works great. That is, if you can lay your hands on a bottle)
1/4 tbsp of thyme (or your favorite herb)
Salt and black pepper to taste

Preparation
Drain all the liquid from the tuna. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Divide into two and mold into burger patties (the mixture would be a bit wet , but not to worry).
Heat a skillet on medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
Cook patties on each side for about 2 minutes.

Serve on your favorite bun with whatever condiments you love. I spread some fat-free cream cheese (an excellent and healthy substitute to mayo) on a whole wheat bun and placed my patty in the middle.

The aroma of the burgers alone, as they cook, will have you salivating long before you take your first bite. In the words of Rachel Ray, 'Yum-o'!

* Mix up a quick coleslaw with store bought coleslaw mix, salt, black pepper and white vinegar and serve along side.
** Each burger patty is 2 Weight Watcher's points.

No comments: