Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Curried Mutton (lamb) with Rice and Peas

If you hadn't already guessed it, I love curries!

Throughout my travels and experimentation with ethnic food, I still haven't found a curry that I didn't love.

I actually tried a green curry with Tofu at a Thai restaurant a few weeks ago and felt ok about it.


Anyway, this week, I took a little trip to the Caribbean, which was inspired by a sale on lamb (don't really remember the cut) at the grocery store. I had the butcher chop up the pieces to my liking and left the store with a smile on my face.

The next day, as I seasoned up the meat and left it to marinade for about an hour (optional step), I rummaged through my cupboards and pantry, for the perfect side. I found some kidney beans and brown rice, et ensuite.... I had figured out dinner - curried mutton with rice and peas (red kidney beans).

Curried lamb

- Season lamb with a generous amount of curry powder, garlic, salt, black pepper, thyme and cayenne pepper (put all in the pot).
- Add a little water to the pot (just enough to coat the bottom of the pot) and place on low to medium heat.
- Place lid on the pot and stir every 10 - 15 minutes. - Chop up some onions and add to the pot when the lamb is about half way done.
- Keep cooking with lid on
- add more water if needed. Continue to stir.

- Once the lamb is almost fall of the bone ready, reduce heat, and simmer for about 10 more minutes.

Rice and peas
- Cook red beans according to instructions
-When about half way done, add rice
- Season with salt (black pepper is optional)
- Keep cooking covered until all the way done.


Enjoy this delicious meal as is, or serve with a side of vegetables (cooked to your liking) for a much more balanced meal.

*
WW buddy... enjoy a 6 pt meal of (1/2 cup of rice and peas and 1/2 a cup of curried mutton = 3 pts)

No comments: