I am always looking for interesting ways to cook potatoes. Given that they are starchy and high carbohydrate vegetables; and usually fats like butter and cheese are added to make them taste delicious, doing the diet thing, I tend to want to stay away.
When I do get a craving, not wanting to go for a mash or use them in my go to shepherd's pie, after a little recipe research, I came up with this. It is in some ways like a frittata but I skip the stove top portion and go straight to the oven.
One large russet potato (baking potato)
3 large eggs
Deli sliced ham (or whatever protein you have)
1/3 cup of shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup of skim milk
1/3 of a large red onion
1/3 of a large green pepper
salt and black pepper to taste
- Peel and thinly slice potatoes and boil in water until tender
- Dice up onions and green pepper finely
- Whisk eggs and milk together and season with salt and pepper
- Slice up ham
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F once potatoes are done
- Grab a baking dish and spray with cooking spray
- Layer potatoes
- Scatter diced up onions and green peppers over potatoes
- Pour over egg mixture and place dish in oven
- After about 15-20 minutes the eggs should have almost completely come together
- Scatter shredded cheese over the top of the casserole
- Place in over for another 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the edges of the casserole start to brown.
Allow to cool and enjoy!