Saturday, January 2, 2010

Shrimp Linguine

It recently came to my attention (thanks mom), that I have developed the bad habit of 'hoarding' groceries.

Blessed with the dangerous combination of loving to cook, and a good sale - especially on frozen meats, I buy food items that I don't intend to cook right away (but know I'll eventually get round to preparing).

When I do get round to cooking, on most occasions, I crave the one ingredient that I don't have at home. This warrants a trip to the grocery store, and the cycle continues.

Resolution for 2010... break the habit! Evidence that I am holding strong on day 2 of the new year - shrimp linguine!

Today, I decided to try out an angel hair chicken pasta recipe that I had been meaning to for a few weeks. However, I did not have a few of the key ingredients required, such as chicken breast, angel hair pasta and basil. Being the creative cook I like to think of myself as, I amended the recipe as follows and came up with a simple but refreshing pasta dish that I will definitely be repeating in the future.

Ingredients



1 box of whole grain linguine (cooked according to box instructions)
4 asparagus spears cut into 1-2 inch pieces
1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes (halved)
2 tbsps olive oil
2/3 cup of chicken broth
1 tbsp parsley
10 oz extra large (31-40) uncooked shrimp
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and black pepper to taste


Instructions
Heat up a large skillet, add 1 tbsp olive oil and shrimp. Cook shrimp on each side until pink - remove from the pan.



Add remaining olive oil, tomatoes and asparagus to the pan and sautee for about 2 minutes.



Add garlic, parsley and chicken broth - reduce heat and simmer for about 4 minutes.



Add cooked shrimp, stir and simmer an additional 1 - 2 minutes.



Finally, add the cooked linguine (and salt and pepper if needed). Simmer for 2-3 minutes to allow pasta soak up most of the sauce.



Remove from heat, serve and enjoy!

WW friends... 1 cup of this dish with about 5 shrimp = 4 points

No comments: