Thursday, January 21, 2010

Sun-dried tomato pesto and Beef kidney Penne

Today's recipe is pasta dish involving one of my favorites - a bottled sauce. Nothing beats the ease that comes with using these. Plus, you don't have to worry about compromising on taste (if you buy a good brand). I stumbled on a jar of sun-dried tomato pesto sauce at the dollar store (yes!) and couldn't resist it.
I love the traditional 'green pesto', that is usually compromised of basil, pine nuts, olive oil, parmesan cheese, etc... and I also love sun-dried tomatoes. I could only imagine how great this sauce would taste.

So... today, I set out on another cooking adventure. I looked in my sparsely stocked refrigerator (I blame it on you - 3 days of non-stop rain) and came up with this.

Ingredients
1/2 cup of sun-dried tomato pesto
4 cups of cooked whole grain penne pasta
Mixed veggies (I used a green beans, onion, mushroom and broccoli mix)
Cooking spray
1 cup of chopped beef kidneys (bite size pieces)
Salt and pepper to taste

Preparation
1) Heat a pan and cover the bottom with cooking spray
2) Add beef kidneys and season with salt and pepper (to taste) - sautee until almost cooked
3) Add mixed veggies - season and sautee with the kidneys
4) Add penne pasta and 1/2 cup of pesto - mix in properly, making sure that pasta is coated properly with the sauce
5) Simmer for 5-7 minutes, stirring often to prevent burning

Serve on its own or as a side dish with your favorite protein.

Boun Appetito!




* WW companion - 1 cup = 5 points
** Add another cup of the pesto if you prefer a saucier pasta (it only adds 4 more points to the pot making it a 6 point meal)

No comments: