Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Nigerian style barbequed beef (Suya)

Living on this side of the pond made treats like suya a rare commodity.
Yes, there is 'Suya Master' in DC, and a few other places in London, Houston and Atlanta, but for me, since I do not live in any of those cities, it is hard to come by.
I had attempted recreating this gem once or twice as a teenager, but it wasn't until 2001, when my roommate at the time, Mercy, made some for her birthday party that I was bold enough to give it another try.
Much thanks to her, it has become one of my most treasured recipes, and a party pleaser. Cooked in the oven, instead of on a charcoal grill like the masters do it, I like to garnish with onions and green peppers, and stick it on a toothpick for finger food. As an alternative, I skewer a few thinly sliced pieces, and serve with rice and plantain as an entree.
It might not be as good as the real thing, but it is a pretty good substitute, if I do say so myself.

No comments: